We’re Doing Our Bit for The Environment. Join Us!
It’s been all over the news, our waste consumption is heavily affecting the environment. With the documentary series ‘War on Waste’ showing us exactly how what we use and throw out is affecting and damaging the world we live in, it’s time to make a change.
We’ve seen supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths shift from single-use plastic bags to reusable ones and we have introduced our own reusable bags in all of our stores. It seems that this is going to be a huge shift for a more environmentally friendly society with the Victorian Government announcing a ban on lightweight plastic bags across Victoria by the end of 2019.
Our push for a better environment and a reduction of waste shouldn’t just stop with reusable bags. Living a plastic-free lifestyle is extremely difficult, with so much covered in plastic! However, there are things you can use and do to help reduce your waste. Over the last few months, we have worked hard with bringing in products that are alternatives to plastic or that are reusable. Here are some things you can use to do your bit!
1. Replace your plastic wrap with Honeybee Beeswax Wraps. The Honeybee food wraps are a waste-free, plastic-free, reusable and non-toxic way to store food. Honeybee beeswax wraps are made with 100% organic cotton infused with a special blend of beeswax and oils to create a flexible, slightly sticky and naturally antibacterial wrap for storing and packing food.
2. Change from single-use plastic bottles to a metal one or reusable. We have a range of beautiful Oasis water bottles that come in different colours and sizes and even some fun patterns for the kids. The best part about these bottles is that they’re insulated so you can keep your drink cold, or warm! You can’t do that with a plastic water bottle.
3. If you’re a coffee lover, then have a reusable coffee cup with you when you next head to a cafe. Many cafes provide a discount if you bring in your own reusable cup. Two of our favourites are the KeepCup range which comes in plastic as well as glass and the Urban Products bamboo cups, which are biodegradable.
4. When it comes to grocery shopping we have a number of fun reusable bags with cute pictures and Melbourne images. Here are some of our favourites.
5. Don’t just stop at a reusable bag, go one step further when you do your next food shop and use some Onya bags. These shopping bags are great to put your fruit and veg in. Each bag is made out of recycled plastic and you can use them over and over again! Onya even has some great bread bags for you to store your fresh bread in so no plastic is needed there either!!
6. Now if you’ve been out for a few drinks in Melbourne lately you may have noticed that quite a few places are no longer providing straws. If you’re like us and love to drink your drink with a straw than make sure you’re carrying a reusable metal one with you! These straws come in both gold and silver in a pack of 4 with a cleaning brush. Keep one in your bag, one at work and two spares at home to rotate!